Welcome to Tomorrow (Brand New Short Story, READ ... or PERISH)

I was born afraid.

The sounds, the cold, sterile light and mechanical bleats. It is a hell no child should bear. The masked henchman closing in their wolfish circle to poke and prod the only recorded human baby capable of speech. The floor groaning beneath their weight, and strange chirpings, as from the whir of some internal machine.

They looked at me, silent, calculating, smelling faintly of exhaust, the hospital staff bustling unaware through the halls behind them.

“Unmask yourselves!” I screamed. “Or are you frightened?”

And when finally their leader—a brute with a high forehead that crisped back in a wave of iron hair, a man who’s eyes encased the pulsing green heat of alien suns—removed his surgical mask, I understood it was I who should have been afraid.

“A talking baby.” He didn’t blink, and he was grinning, all those teeth an unwholesome sight, considering the softness of my bones.

“I’ll have you know I'm a complex intradimensional chemo-biological organism, and find talking baby to be a foul description.” My speech was mush, no teeth, a tongue that was still too weak to assist with any complex arrangement. “Where’s my mother?”
               
I asked this as a test of motivation; I’d watched the lab men smother her with a pillow. Watched her fingers curl to rake the cheek of one assailant. Saw the four black grooves that sprayed dark fluid across her sheets; and then her hand, bone white, shivering as it dangled from the bed.

“You’re mother isn’t your mother,” said the man, drawing a cigarette from his scrubs, and lighting it on the tip of a naked light bulb protruding above my dead mother’s hospital bed. “We both know that. So don’t play stupid. For a talking baby, you’re anything but stupid.”

My estimate of things came quickly. I’d been betrayed. Despite The Order’s precautions, our empath channel had been compromised, picked up, sniffed by the Dream Hounds that were ever watching the pathways for shivers in the dust. Such things in the worlds beyond the world are commonplace. There are wars everywhere, mirrored in nature, from the macrocosm of universal entropy, to the microcosm of human emotion. So many wars. And the channel from which I hailed was no different.  

“Mr. Shade sends his regards,” said the smoking, green-eyed butcher. “The world isn’t ready for you. Hasn’t been for centuries. Never will be, if you ask me.” He began to pace, and I became aware of how incredibly heavy his steps were, like hydraulic presses. The floor was buckling, the wheeled machines slowly inching from the wall. He didn’t notice, was too busy moralizing. “The world is sleeping. It likes its sleep. The Order wants to shock it open, without realizing that shocking it might kill it. There’s one thing I’ve never understood about you spiritual parasites…”

Just then my birth father peeked his head through the hallway window—the merest flash of glasses, brown hair, utter terror—and I screamed in hopes of distracting them: “That we are stronger and fleeter of mind? That we slip through the pathways while you tromp the earth and earths like it, sucking energy and bleeding oil and never once in that mechanical bear-trap of a mind, never once having an idea that hasn’t dripped down from the ubiquitous Mr. Shade?”

I was panting, my tiny lungs hardly ready for oration of that bent, and I saw with some relief that they were watching me and not the window.

“No,” the man said, and as if to demonstrate no regrets for his means of existence, tore the cord straight from a machine and slurped a winding blue stream of power into his mouth. He dropped it, dragged his cigarette, and the exhale came out black, the smoke of building fires, of tragedy and emptiness and the other whips to which this confounded world was heir. “Why you’d risk yourself for baboons is a mystery. Filthy creatures. The emotions of them—beasts like your mother—are a pathogen of their own. And their bodies! Their bodies are filled with bacteria. 400 for every human cell. They can't survive without them. They are a drooling, hectoring, walking disease. And here you are to save them. The forty-third in the last two years.”

Many had come before me.

All of them had failed.

“Our Hounds sniff you out. Certainly, you know that; and yet you, like them, are recklessly persistent in hope of … what, exactly? Awakening? Revolution?”

“Peace,” I breathed, trying hard not to drop my eyes to the floor, where the tiles were spreading with cracks. “There is a freedom in peace your kind will never know. You’ve made them like you are. Dependent on sources that distract them from the greatest source of all.”

“Which is?” He stomped his foot, and I held my breath, but the floor held.  

“Creativity. Spontaneity. The organic pulse of imagination. The Maker put it there.”

“The Maker is dead!” He stomped for emphasis, and his eyes pulsed so brightly the lights winked into momentary blackness. “I watched him torn apart! I drank his blood!”

“Too true, but his spirit lives on. In me. In them. In everything but you. And that is something you cannot stomach. That you’re an outsider, an interloper, a eunich guarding the riches of a kingdom you yourself will never taste. You are a beggar. A machine. Rust is your only inevitability, disuse, eternal silence. There is no pulse in that chest. There is a wheeze and clink of gears, a barbaric mimicry of the Maker’s Design.” I smiled at them, all gums, knowing I would die, that the dimensions, the passages, the light-years of hurtling abyss I had travelled through to get here would be waiting for my return. “You're a carnival gag, and one day years from now, when we have won, and they know what they are, of what they are capable and destined to become, you'll be kept alive in a cage, and thousands will pay to gather beyond the bars and point. Evolution has no use of you. You’re fodder.”

“Kill that fucking baby!” The man screamed.

And the floor screamed with him…

Upending, folding in from the corners, linoleum and tiled sheets sliding as neatly as the corners of a handkerchief tucked into a magician’s fist, and they were sinking, with a crunch, the great weight of them colliding and destroying one another, with curses and snapping limbs that razed against the steel-beams of the lower floor and came up half-sheathed in rubber skin, black fingerbones clutching vainly along the subfloor, spewing oil and a fading mechanical weeze.

A successive row of crashes erupted from below, as all thirteen stories collided and surrendered to their weight.

I bowed my head, knowing some of the innocent had died or were now dying, crushed by the thing that already enslaved them. And then the dash of hair and glasses and pimply uncertain face was back at the window. 

My father rushed in and swaddled me in a blanket, sprinting through the hallway, stuffing me in a backpack and speaking as he went. “I heard all of it. My God, was it true? You can talk?”

“Yes,” I whispered, not wanting to be noticed by the commotion of nurses and doctors and patients, wandered from their rooms. “We have no time. Mother is dead.”

He halted briefly, his face clouding over, looking as if he wished it was he who had gone crashing through the floor. And in a way I understood he had, that his second half, his partner, the upbeat to his down, was no more. He was lopsided and awkward without her, and I felt my first twinge of compassion for this race. “Yes,” was all he whispered. “Mother is dead.”

“Go, quickly. To the ground floor. Don’t take a taxi, the DNA tracers will pick you up. Walk. Just do it! There, the coat, do you see it?” He did. “Put it on and cover yourself! And there, that hat,” he grabbed it from the nurse’s station counter, slapped it on, and took the stairs three at a time, milling through the crowd until we pushed from the lobby, squinting into a windy night lit by advertisements as far as the eye could see.

A world colored by the second sun of NEED, of DESIRE, pictures of women with aluminum coil hair that would never rust or frizz or be tarnished by any earthly punishment, eye implants that changed color at the wearer’s whim, 18-pistoned Sports-Utility-Jeeps popularized by the late President Owen McClaine, years before he’d taken his own life in a whorehouse; there were flesh-genies willing to grant any carnal wish imagined, penile growth serum guaranteed to make those precious regions elephantine for the night, neural steroids promising psychokinetic revenge; lotteries in which one betted a newborn son or daughter for a lake-front palace replete with servants…

And as I watched, and the sirens hovered nearer on the dark, smog-spotted air, I understood that I was the only one who’d made it. Thousands had died as wailing babies, and for some reason only The Maker could know, I was the lone survivor. I understood then, fully, with salient purpose, that it was up to me. That this great, dreamed, lived in, worn out, collapsed and blasted world still had its old bones down their somewhere; that it only needed excavation, a combined, controlled, communal hoisting of the Human Spirit.

“Take off your glasses,” I told the man that was my father.

“I can’t see without them.”

“I’ll guide you. We must be quick. They’ll be looking for a man in glasses.”

“You’re a—” he’d wanted to say baby, but he knew I was no ordinary baby; perhaps that I was the closest thing to a second messiah the world would ever know. “Alright. I’ll take them off.”

He was the first human to trust me. But he would not be the last.        

Comments

Post a Comment